Current Job Opportunities
The Sitka Sound Science Center is hiring for a temporary full-time Retail Manager who would be responsible for overseeing all aspects of the gift shop. Starting May 1st through September 30th, $14 per hour.
Duties include but are not limited to:
– Setting up the store before the tourist season begins, maintaining a current inventory system, and closing down the store in the fall.
– Displaying and stocking merchandise.
– Maintaining a clean and organized storefront.
– Monitoring sales and ensuring appropriate levels of inventory are on hand.
– Interacting positively with all visitors
– Handling cash, check, and credit card transactions.
– Ensuring sales receipts match transactions, making regular deposits.
– Prepare reports as requested by SSSC Board, Executive Director, or Business Director.
– Assisting with admissions or giving tours as needed.
– Providing general support to other areas of the organization as needed.
– Other duties as assigned.
– Punctuality and appropriate dress (warm clothes, rubber boots, clothing without holes, etc.).
– Appropriately handling cash and credit card transactions, making change, and balancing a cash drawer.
– Check in and out on time, and be a positive representative of the SSSC.
Send resume, cover letter, and references to email@example.com, attention to:
Rachel Klein, Assistant Director, Sitka Sound Science Center, 834 Lincoln Street, Sitka AK 99835
Fisheries Summer Job Opportunities
The Sitka Sound Science Center is advertising for field crew for a potential summer fishery field project. The job involves daily sampling of post-spawning chum salmon in four streams in the Northern Southeast area. This work involves remote stream work under a variety of conditions sampling post-spawning chum salmon for otoliths, tissue samples, and scales. Successful applicants will be well suited for working and living in a group environment. The work entails extensive time in the field under challenging conditions (rain, bears, bugs), weekend work, and, may involve living onboard a chartered support vessel. The project has the potential to be funded each summer through 2019. Hiring is dependent on grant funding. Preference will be given to Juneau-based crew with experience. Looking for adults age 18 and above with stream and/or fishery experience.
Field Crew Leader (2):
The Sitka Sound Science Center is recruiting for 2 seasonal fishery biologists to serve as field team leader for a remote stream salmon sampling project. The successful candidates will be experienced working in remote salmon streams, have experience identifying and sampling post spawning chum salmon, be comfortable with firearms and bear safety and have supervisory experience. Each field team leader will supervise up to 4 technicians. ETT certification is preferred but not required. Period of employment is approximately July 10 – August 20, 2017. Project is anticipated to continue during the same time periods in 2018-2019. ($185/day gross). Finalists will be required to provide documentation of physical fitness for heavy lifting and hiking.
Fishery Technician (5)
The Sitka Sound Science Center is recruiting for 5 seasonal fishery technicians to work on a remote field project sampling post-spawning chum salmon. The successful candidates will be excited about working in remote streams, be physically fit (able to carry heavy packs and hike rugged terrain), and well suited to living aboard a support vessel or group housing with other field crew. Fishery sampling experience is preferred but not required. Period of employment is approximately July 15 – August 20, 2017. Project is anticipated to continue during the same time periods in 2018-2019. Daily salaried position ($145/day gross). Job entails extensive time in the field, weekend work, and challenging work environment (rain, bears, bugs). Finalists will be required to provide documentation of physical fitness for heavy lifting and hiking.
Finalists will be required to provide documentation of physical fitness for heavy lifting and hiking. Email resume, cover letter, and 2 references to Tory O’Connell, Research Director, Sitka Sound Science Center, 834 Lincoln Street, Sitka AK 99835. firstname.lastname@example.org