Position title: Aquarium and Interpretation Manager
NLRB Classification: Overtime Exempt
SSSC Status: Regular, Fulltime
Supervised by: Executive Director
Leave as provided in Employee Handbook
Includes mandatory fringe benefits only
Place of Work: 834 Lincoln St., Sitka Alaska
The Molly O Ahlgren Aquarium is a small but high profile saltwater aquarium used as an educational tool at the Sitka Sound Science Center.
This position oversees the aquarium, supervises and trains interpretative staff and volunteers, and works to fully utilize the facility as an educational tool. This position is the public “face” of the aquarium and tourism at SSSC; overseeing tours, volunteer engagement, and training/scheduling tour guides. The position also promotes use of the aquarium for educational, community and private events. This position will work with SSSC education team and the research department to assure the aquarium is utilized as a scientifically-authentic resource for visitors and community members.
Duties include but are not limited to:
1. Develop and execute aquarium training programs for student volunteers and docents
2. Provide educational opportunities in the aquarium
3. Supervise seasonal workers and volunteers; coordinate summer work and tour schedules
4. Schedule shifts at front desk of aquarium; provide front desk service as needed
5. Provide frequent updates to the SSSC website and social media to keep the public and students informed of what is going on in the aquarium.
6. Engage the public through aquarium-related activities.
7. Promote the aquarium/organization to visitor industry, including marketing and social media
8. Ensure aquarium maintenance, permitting and collections are carried out
9. Plan and execute new exhibits
10. Other duties as assigned.
A strong scientific background is necessary for this position. A 4-year degree or related in biology, natural sciences, marine science or related fields is required. At least 5 years of appropriate work experience may be considered as a substitute. Must be able to work with and instruct people from a variety of abilities and backgrounds. Strong communication skills including public speaking and teaching abilities are necessary for this position. Previous supervisory experience preferred.
To apply for this position, please send cover letter, resume, and three (3) references to Education Director, Janet Clarke at email@example.com.